My Developmental Piece – In Progress

I have been so busy recently; the sun has been out, and I have a critical deadline on Friday for all of my art work!

I thought I would give you all an update to my progress on my Final Pieces for both Art and Textiles. However, I will be starting with Textiles in this post.

In order to feel comfortable in finalising my Textiles Exam “Combinations and Alliances”, I have started to work on a developmental piece which will be crucial to develop my techniques and ideas further.

I have decided that I would take a concertina book, use my lino prints to add a starting point and then use my appliqué and machine stitch skills (which I used for my First Significant Piece and my Second Significant Piece).

Here are some photographs of how I have got on:

The above photograph shows the first part of the concertina book – I have printed my lino yellow and then I have added my own materials and stitching to enhance it.

The plain parts of the book (without a lino print) have proven to be difficult already, however, I have made the most of it to show off my machine stitching and carry that on throughout the book.

What I am a little disappointed about with this piece so far, is that the prints aren’t all straight on the page (as shown above – some of them are diagonal to the page). But that is a very small part of the piece, so I am looking forward to finishing it and making sure my stitches are straighter!

Advertisements

Second Significant Piece

My second significant piece is finally finished. After hard work printing, and constantly on the sewing machine, I think it has all paid off.

The start - edge stitching, arranging and planning.

After my first significant piece, I think this is definitely a step up; my skills have improved and you can definitely see them throughout the piece.

The First Stages - Looking at the print.

I am so pleased with how my printing has gone, I was so keen to really get going and work on something larger than my first.

I have used the whole of the orange fabric print and made this into a wall hanging. It contains my appliqué skills (also from my first significant piece) and general machine stitching.

Along the way, there were a few issues with the sewing machine (on a few occasions I really did think I had properly broken it!!!). But the only that was holding me back was that the wodding which I had put behind it was too thick to properly go through the machine. This was – admittedly – quite a stupid mistake but as my first significant piece was so successful I thought it would be okay.

Here is my finished piece!!

My Finished Piece!!

I am very pleased with this piece because I have taken all of my skills and produced something different and more exciting than before.

Detail - Bottom Part

Detail - Top

Detail - Middle Appliqué

And finally, my last photograph for you …

Detail - Middle Left

Yes, some of my machine stitching is a little wonky in places, but I think this is nevertheless and successful piece, and I am very proud of myself for overcoming my difficulties and pursuing it until the end.

First Significant Piece

During the Easter break, so far (yes, I know… It’s coming to an end already … But I still have more to do!) I have produced one significant piece for my exam Unit in Textiles. As you know the title is “Combinations and Alliances”, and I have been looking at the links between traditional and modern architecture.

From my second set of photographs (which I shared some of them yesterday), I have now produced this:

I have used the material which I printed on before the holidays, and put some wadding/wodding behind it and stitched through the whole piece (both horizontally and vertically) – I have also added a three blocks of other materials onto the piece to show my appliqué skills.

The following photographs are close ups of the piece:

Preparing For My Large Pieces

With my second set of photographs, I have also started to work towards some significant pieces. To start with, I have produced some quick responses through paper (nothing big just emphasising the lines etc).

I have three large pieces planned and to be able to do them, I have experimented with printing (using lino and cutting into that).

Here is my set up:

Setting Up My Space

As you can see, I have my lino print, a perspex board for the paint to be rolled on, and another roller (which is clean) to roll the back of the lino onto the cloth.

Here is my prints after the first colour – light yellow (orange fabric) and coral (black fabric) :

First Print - Light Yellow and Coral

After this first print, I have then cut into the lino again (these new cut outs will show yellow or coral in the second print). You should notice a difference in my set up:

Second Set Up - Second Print (Red)

Here, you can see my lino print more clearly – you should be able to see more of a change from the last prints I made.

And now here are the finished prints!!!

My Finished Prints

Stick around for updates on my significant pieces from these prints…

Starting Off My New Projects …

So far, I have one contact sheet of photographs per Art subject and my initial ideas completely sorted.

These are today’s aims:

  1. Write up both introductions
  2. Write ups for both contact sheets

I am still on number one and it is proving to be quite difficult!! I do struggle with describing what I intend to do and with my ideas in general, so I need to take my time and get things right as this is really important.

I hope you are all having a good day so far!!